Sprout is an innovative food initiative that seeks to bring accessible healthy food options and healthy food education to food desserts across Ottawa. Through selling produce in corner stores already in place in communities and using the space to provide the food within walking distance of residents' homes. We work closely with Ottawa Public Health and working towards a more equitable world in terms of Canada's food security right here at home.
The Sprout team's goals this year include:
- Developing a set of recipes that can be conveniently and affordably prepared using foods stocked in our participating convenience stores
- Building partnerships with local farmers and farmers' cooperatives, public health authorities, and nonprofit partners that work with our target clientele (i.e. the Food Bank, food pantries and soup kitchens)
- Launching the program in more convenient stores, potentially identifying a franchise chain that would be interested in the project
You’ll need to:
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have great organizational skills
It’d be great if you have:
- Interest in nutrition
- The ability to lead a team
- Experience working with POS systems
You’ll be working on things like:
- Leading the development of our product offering; Deciding which products will be sold and in what quantities they will be stocked.
- Integrating current POS system and ensuring products can be sold in-store (e.g. creating a unique UPC for each product)
- Leading needs assessment, including surveys and focus groups, in the community
- Seeking out partnerships with suppliers, distributors, resellers, and other community groups who could add value to the project.
- Developing a client acquisition strategy.
- Leading the development of a business case/white- paper on the value of the project to be use to seek out potential partners
- Establishing an inventory tracking system, and for making projections on the inventory needs.